It has been one month since I started working at a local grocery store as a cashier and there are some interesting aspects of this job! I am1. sure because of the pandemic it is making it extra interesting, but these are my first 5 takeaways of the job.
- Sanitize sanitize sanitize! My hands are raw from all the sanitizer. We have to clean the belt after each customer with sanitizer, as well as sanitize our hands after each customer as well. I should not get a cold or any kind of sickness with all this sanitizer in me!! On the plus side – the grocery belts have never been so shiny and clean!!
- Learning the codes. So many codes!! Produce that is foreign to me, trying to figure out what the picture of it is on the system, and having customers look at me cluelessly when I ask them what it is – standard answer “aren’t you supposed to know?” Umm no not when you’re buying some new produce that I have never seen or heard of! Why can’t they just tell me?
- The mask situation. I have heard some of the other cashiers asking customers to pull the mask up over their nose but I just don’t want the backlash that some of them get. We have a screen protecting us, and while I know that’s not the best, I also have a mask on that I wear properly! These are adults – do they not realize that they need to cover the nose too?? Oh the pandemic times we are in.
- The elderly customers. We have sweet elderly people come in and want us to pack their groceries for them in their reusable bags. We are technically not supposed to but we all do. How can you say no I can’t do that an elderly person who is clearly not able to do that? Of course I’m going to help! And if I could go home with them and unpack for them, I would! I only wish that everyone would be patient behind them. Most customers are, but there are also the ones who are waiting and breathing heavy in frustration waiting. Go to self check-out if you have a problem!!
- My fellow cashiers. They are all awesome and very helpful!! I have a positive attitude no matter where I work and once again have found a job that I really enjoy going to every day. I am fortunate that I have been so lucky with the jobs I have obtained in my life. Most have been great and this one is no exception!
Stay tuned for more tales from a grocery store cashier!