Redoing my bucket list and making it into goals instead of dreams!
One month TODAY, I will be landing in Santiago, Chile!! I have enjoyed, for the most part, my time in China but I am SO excited to be heading to the southern hemisphere and a brand new continent!
My South American journey has many places to see, and things to do. I cannot wait to get started on this next chapter of my life!! Here are just a few things I want to see and do!
1. The Atacama desert – I have been doing research about the desert, and this is something I cannot miss while in Chile!! San Pedro de Atacama looks so charming, and there are reasonably priced tours to go and observe the stars, and be mesmerized by the sky. I cannot wait to be there!!
2. Eat empanadas from a street vendor in Santiago – there are many street markets in Santiago, and I want to see everything, and inhale all the delicious smells of Chile, and enjoy a freshly made empanada.
3. Enjoy Chilean wine – I am not a big wine drinker but I do know that Chile has some of the best wine in the world, and I am going to try it while I am there.
4. Valparaiso and Vina del Mar – these ocean cities are a bus ride away from Santiago. I want to be by the ocean, enjoy fresh seafood, and take a walk on the beach.
5. Ride a bike through the countryside of Chile, near the Andes.
There are so many things I want to do and to see in my life. These are just a few that I know I can accomplish this year. Any suggestions of other things I shouldn’t miss?
Growing up in a small Ontario city, one dreams of having the chance to see and maybe even live in exciting cities of the world. But how many of us actually get to do that? I am sure people would be surprised to hear that many of us do!
I am one of those people. I grew up in Welland, Ontario ~ a small industrial city in Southern Ontario, close to Niagara Falls. I enjoyed growing up there. I had lots of friends, school was fun for the most part, but then I turned 16 and I started dreaming of moving away. Toronto and New York City were the big cities that I wanted to see and live in!
I did end up moving to Toronto when I was 19. I stayed a few years, moved to London, Ontario and got married. Yet I still had that itch to see more than Southern Ontario. I just could not see myself being brave enough to get out in the world.
A few years ( and a divorce) later found me and my daughter heading to New York City. One of my bucket list items came off my list!!
Single motherhood became my most important job then and so the bucket list had to wait.
A move to Calgary and discovering a new confidence in myself found me looking at European opportunities to work. A trip to Italy in April 2014 took another bucket list item off and added so many more to it!!! I knew I had the courage to make a move.
In November 2014, after quitting my job, I moved to Prague to start a new life. Teaching English was never on my bucket list but its enabled me to see London, Paris, Vienna, Berlin, Dresden, and now China. And I have a career now ~ not just a job.
I loved growing up in Welland and I wouldn’t trade my memories of my childhood for anything, but I am so proud of myself to have made it as far in the world as I have. I can only hope that I inspire my children to live life with all their potential and to see just how far they can go, with hard work and a bucket list!!