Happy Canada Day!
July 1st is Canada Day – we celebrated 151 years of being this truly amazing country yesterday. I am a proud Canadian and no matter where I’ve been in the world, I proudly tell people that I am from this country. Here is my list of the top 5 things about Canada.
1. The people. Yes, we are the nicest people on Earth. We are humble (except for when we are playing or watching hockey….), we are polite and we are considerate. Of course there are always some bad apples but for the most part, you will encounter the nicest people here in this country.
2. The seasons. We are a vast country but we all get to enjoy the 4 seasons in all their spectacular, and sometimes tiring, way. The spring brings beautiful flowers, the sun brings the unbearable heat, the fall brings us spectacular colours and the winter brings the snow. We are a resilient group of people though, and while it’s a Canadian tradition to complain about the weather, we all come through each season just fine! Me – I am a fall/winter girl and we are having unbearable heat at the moment and I feel like I am melting — but give it a month or two and it will be gone!
3. The natural wonders of Canada – Niagara Falls, the Rocky Mountains – all across this great land we are treated with some of the most beautiful and spectacular scenery of all the world.
4. The food – okay so we have the best maple syrup in the world – we are the leaders of the world for production of maple syrup – but we also have poutine! And bear claws! We have our own unique food, as other countries around the world do, and we are proud of our uniqueness!!
5. My hometown! Welland may not be on everyone’s radar to visit, but it’s becoming a place to see for the sporting events we host on the Canal. We have some cool new places to eat, and it’s just a really pretty little city to see, even for just a couple of hours.
I am so very proud to be Canadian!